ABOUT THE RACE
RACE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
On Sunday, March 1, 2020, the Skyway 10K returns! Runners and walkers of all levels will once again have the opportunity to cross over the span of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg, Florida. For the third consecutive year, the iconic bridge, covering three Florida counties, will serve as the breathtaking setting and 6.2-mile course for an incredible race experience.
Your support helped to raise $640,000 for the Armed Forces Families Foundation (AFFF) in the March 2019 2nd Annual Skyway 10K. For the 3rd Annual Skyway 10K Race, 100 percent of all proceeds will once again benefit the AFFF and support our military and their families!
The 2020 event is capped at 8,000 registrants. Please be sure to check back and follow us on social media to stay up-to-date.
TOP 10 CHANGES FOR 2020 RACE
CHECK BACK LATER FOR MORE INFORMATION
RACE COURSE AND PARKING
The Skyway 10K is point-to-point from Manatee County to Pinellas County running northbound over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The only way to get to the starting line will be by official buses. Buses will begin loading at Tropicana Field in Downtown St. Petersburg. Runners will be bussed to the starting point in Terra Ceia in Manatee County. Once over the bridge, buses will be waiting at the finish line to take runners back to Tropicana Field.
PLEASE NOTE: The northbound lanes over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge are scheduled to close at 3:30 AM on Sunday, March 1, 2020. Please make travel plans to Tropicana Field accordingly.
This year, we will have an app (Android/iPhone) that will have live parking updates to make Race Day easier!
Here are some additional facts regarding the elevation of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, courtesy of FDOT:
- The elevation of the PGL (Profile Grade Line) for the flat trestle spans is 26 feet above mean sea level.
- The top of the barrier wall at the center of the main span is 200 feet above mean sea level.
- The slope of either side of the main span of the bridge is a 4 percent grade.
- From the center of tower to center of tower is 1,200 feet.
Tropicana Field is providing parking for Race Weekend completely FREE of cost! Parking is available for race participants and spectators on a first-come, first-served basis – it will fill up fast!
Here are a few tips:
- Carpooling or ride sharing are recommended. See the image below for recommended Uber/Lyft drop off area.
- Participants may need to park around Tropicana Field on the streets, so consider street parking costs (if any).
- Allow plenty of time to walk to Tropicana Field so as not to miss bus departure waves.
All participants are responsible for making sure they arrive on time, ready to get on their respective bus.
This includes accounting for any traffic, parking time, and walking time. Plan accordingly!
2020 MEDALS AND T-SHIRTS
CHECK BACK LATER FOR MORE INFORMATION
UPGRADE TO A VIP EXPERIENCE TO RECEIVE AMAZING VIP BENEFITS
All VIP registrants will be invited to Skyway 10K exclusive, private events leading up to Race Day as well as the benefits below.
PLEASE NOTE: All VIP events and benefits are only for those participants who pay for VIP Registrations. All-Inclusive Guest Passes will be available – check back for pricing.
- $300 VIP Registration
- Children three years of age and under may attend the VIP events for no additional cost. They must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.
VIP Registration* Includes:
- 1 10K Race entry [VIP race bib with timing chip, commemorative shirt, finisher’s medal, and access to post race party]
- 1 entry into VIP Luxury Tent during Race Expo- Saturday, February 29
- 1 entry into VIP Luxury Tent on Race Day for Post-Race Bloody Mary and Mimosa Bar- Sunday, March 1
- Guaranteed first choice from Bus Waves 1-4
- Hassle Free VIP Packet Mailing [race bib with timing chip, commemorative shirt, VIP goodie bag]
- VIP Bag Check on Race Day, March 1
- Opportunity to purchase VIP Guest Passes
- VIP Luxury Tent will be heated/cooled and will feature an open bar, buffet style food, live race stream, games, lounge, and upgraded, private VI-Potties!
- Note: VIP Luxury Tent access is for the registration holder ONLY; children under 3 are allowed in the tent but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Registration opens Thursday, October 3 at 9am EDT and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. You can register at this VIP LINK.
ARMED FORCES FAMILIES FOUNDATION
100 Percent of all Skyway 10K Proceeds will benefit the AFFF, going directly toward projects to support military families.
TO DATE, THE SKYWAY 10K HAS RAISED MORE THAN $1.2 MILLION FOR THE ARMED FORCES FAMILIES FOUNDATION IN ITS FIRST TWO YEARS.
We all know that the first line of support for our troops is their families. Oftentimes those family members don’t have the support they need to endure the difficulties surrounding months or years of deployment. The Armed Forces Families Foundation was established to help give these families a sense of community support and well-being while their loved ones are away fighting for our freedom.
100 PERCENT OF ALL DONATIONS RECEIVED ARE USED TO FUND PROJECTS TO SUPPORT OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN AND THEIR FAMILIES.
The Armed Forces Families Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that utilizes 100 percent of funds to give back to local communities to support military families. The AFFF is comprised of a 100 percent volunteer-based organization, which enables the Foundation to operate without any overhead costs. With over $2.5 million raised, the AFFF strives to continue to make a difference in our military communities.
The commitment of the AFFF has led to the completion of over 50 infrastructure projects that will benefit the families of our service men and women for years to come. Our focus is primarily on areas of significant need which often fall outside the tight budget constraints of the military and its family support organizations. All funds remain local so donors can see their dollars at work. Please visit armedforcesfamilies.org for more information or to make a donation.
ABOUT THE BRIDGE
THE BOB GRAHAM SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE
The Sunshine Skyway was the longest segmental cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere when it opened in 1987. It was the first of its kind in the United States – a cable-stayed bridge with single pylons and single planes of stays. Since then, its groundbreaking design and majestic beauty have been recognized with 18 awards, including the 1988 Presidential Award for Design Excellence through the National Endowment for the Arts.
Soaring pylons and brilliant yellow cables support the main span, designed by FIGG Bridge Group. The Skyway is not only beautiful, it’s strong! The 1,200-foot-long main span is made of precast concrete segments, each 95 foot wide and weighing up to 220 tons, both record-breaking sizes at the time of construction. Its design also protects against ship collisions and hurricane force winds.
The Skyway is the proud gateway to MacDill Air Force Base and to Hillsborough County, home to the most veterans and active military in Florida. We salute you!
To see more great bridges, visit FIGG Bridge Group. Excerpted from Bridges: A History of the World’s Most Spectacular Spans by Judith Dupre.