ABOUT THE RACE
RACE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
On Sunday, March 3, 2019, the Skyway 10K returns! Runners and walkers of all levels will once again have the opportunity to cross over the span of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg, Florida. For the second consecutive year, the iconic bridge, covering three Florida counties, will serve as the breathtaking setting and 6.2-mile course for an incredible race experience.
Your support helped to raise $560,000 for the Armed Forces Families Foundation (AFFF) in the March 2018 Inaugural Skyway 10K. For this 2nd Annual Skyway 10K Race, 100 percent of all proceeds will once again benefit the AFFF and support our military and their families!
The 2019 event is capped at 8,000 registrants. Please be sure to check back and follow us on social media to stay up-to-date.
For the 2nd Annual Skyway 10K, the costs are:
- General Registration: $80.00
- VIP Admission: $300.00
- VIP Guest Passes: $220.00
TOP 10 CHANGES FOR 2019 RACE
- Improved race shirt sizing
- Redesigned bus corrals for easier loading and post-race unloading through the medal and food corrals
- Increased number of waves to reduce the congestion on the bridge
- New parking plan with City of St. Pete Police and Tampa Bay Rays to ease parking congestion on both Saturday and Sunday
- New iPhone/Android app to keep you updated on Race Day including live parking suggestions
- Option to have your race packet mailed to you
- Bleacher seating at Tropicana Field around the jumbotron for friends and family to watch the CBS live coverage
- GoPros now allowed on the bridge
- Virtual Run available
- New awards for King and Queen of the Hill (timed race up the incline of the bridge)
RACE COURSE AND PARKING
The Skyway 10K is point-to-point from Manatee County to Pinellas County running northbound over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The only way to get to the starting line will be by official buses. Buses will begin loading at Tropicana Field in Downtown St. Petersburg. Runners will be bussed to the starting point in Terra Ceia in Manatee County. Once over the bridge, buses will be waiting at the finish line to take runners back to Tropicana Field.
PLEASE NOTE: The northbound lanes over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge are scheduled to close at 3:30 AM on Sunday, March 3, 2019. Please make travel plans to Tropicana Field accordingly.
This year, we will have an app (Android/iPhone) that will have live parking updates to make Race Day easier!
Here are some additional facts regarding the elevation of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, courtesy of FDOT:
- The elevation of the PGL (Profile Grade Line) for the flat trestle spans is 26 feet above mean sea level.
- The top of the barrier wall at the center of the main span is 200 feet above mean sea level.
- The slope of either side of the main span of the bridge is a 4 percent grade.
- From the center of tower to center of tower is 1,200 feet.
Tropicana Field is providing parking for Race Weekend completely FREE of cost! Parking is available for race participants and spectators on a first-come, first-served basis – it will fill up fast!
Here are a few tips:
- Carpooling or ride sharing are recommended. See the image below for recommended Uber/Lyft drop off area.
- Participants may need to park around Tropicana Field on the streets, so consider street parking costs (if any).
- Allow plenty of time to walk to Tropicana Field so as not to miss bus departure waves.
All participants are responsible for making sure they arrive on time, ready to get on their respective bus.
This includes accounting for any traffic, parking time, and walking time. Plan accordingly!
2019 MEDALS AND T-SHIRTS
SHIRT SIZE CHARTS
PLEASE NOTE: Our sizing charts provide only a guideline – every individual has different proportions and these standardized charts will not guarantee a perfect fit. If you are on the borderline between two sizes, base your order on whether or not your prefer a looser (size up) or closer fit and the product fabrication and styling.
Since our styles are made of distinct fabrics and from different manufacturers, each will vary slightly in fit and sizing.
WOMEN'S SIZE CHART
CF LENGTH 25″
CF LENGTH 26″
CF LENGTH 27″
CF LENGTH 28″
CF LENGTH 28″
UNISEX SIZE CHART
CF LENGTH 28″
CF LENGTH 29″
CF LENGTH 30″
CF LENGTH 31″
CF LENGTH 32″
UPGRADE TO A VIP EXPERIENCE TO RECEIVE AMAZING VIP BENEFITS
All VIP registrants will be invited to Skyway 10K exclusive, private events leading up to Race Day as well as the benefits below.
PLEASE NOTE: All VIP events and benefits are only for those participants who pay for VIP Registrations. All-Inclusive Guest Passes are available for an additional $220.
- $300 VIP Registration
- $220 Guest Pass – limited to 50 guest passes.
- Children three years of age and under may attend the VIP events for no additional cost. They must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.
VIP Registration* Includes:
- Entry into exclusive, invite-only event on Thursday, February 28, 2019 at Sea Dog Brewing Co. in Treasure Island.
- Entry into exclusive, invite-only event on Friday, March 1, 2019 at the American Freedom Distillery.
- Access to the luxury VIP Tent on Saturday, March 2, 2019 for the General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Race Expo.
- Access to VIPottys provided by United Site Services.
- Access to the luxury VIP tent on Sunday, March 3, 2019 for a Post-Race Bloody Mary and Mimosa Bar.
- Hassle-free gear check and packet pickup.
- Guaranteed choice of Bus Wave 1, 2, or 3.
- VIP race bib.
- Food, drinks, and entertainment to be provided at each VIP event.
- VIP Registration admits only one adult per registration into events and tent. All-Inclusive Guest Passes are available for an additional $220.
Register for the Skyway 10K Virtual Run to show your support for the Armed Forces Families Foundation from anywhere! The proceeds from the 2019 Skyway 10K Virtual Run presented by Visit St. Pete/Clearwater directly benefit the Armed Forces Families Foundation.
Registration will open on Monday, November 28, 2018 to Monday, January 7, 2019 at midnight. The cost is $45.00 and includes a commemorative bib, a Virtual Run T-shirt, and a Virtual Run medal.
You may purchase as many Virtual Run registrations as you wish at one time, but they must be in different names. There are no transfers.
Athletes of all ages, shapes, sizes, speeds, and abilities are encouraged to sign up to be included in this unique aspect of the Skyway 10K Bridge Run event. There is no age limit. Participants who are running the official Skyway 10K 2nd Annual Race may also register for the Skyway 10K Virtual Run.
Simply run/walk/crawl a total of 6.2 miles and when you’ve done so, send an email to Virtual@Skyway10K.com with your full name and the date(s) and location(s) where you completed your 6.2 miles. Email deadline is March 1, 2019.
PLEASE NOTE: The Virtual Run is NOT in conjunction with the Skyway 10K Bridge Run held on March 3, 2019.
Please do not show up on March 3, 2019 prepared to run in the race.
VIRTUAL RUN REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
The 2019 Skyway 10K Virtual Run is presented by Visit St. Pete/Clearwater
- Cost: $45
- Cost Includes: A commemorative bib, a Virtual Run T-shirt, and a Virtual Run medal
- Registration Opens: November 28, 2018
- Registration Closes: January 7, 2019 at midnight
- Email Deadline: March 1, 2019
- Send your full name, the date(s), and location(s) where you completed your 6.2 miles to: Virtual@Skyway10K.com
- VIRTUAL RUN REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
ARMED FORCES FAMILIES FOUNDATION
100 Percent of all Skyway 10K Proceeds will benefit the AFFF, going directly toward projects to support military families.
THE 2018 INAUGURAL SUNSHINE SKYWAY 10K BRIDGE RUN RAISED $560,000 FOR THE ARMED FORCES FAMILIES FOUNDATION.
We all know that the first line of support for our troops is their families. Oftentimes those family members don’t have the support they need to endure the difficulties surrounding months or years of deployment. The Armed Forces Families Foundation was established to help give these families a sense of community support and well-being while their loved ones are away fighting for our freedom.
100 PERCENT OF ALL DONATIONS RECEIVED ARE USED TO FUND PROJECTS TO SUPPORT OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN AND THEIR FAMILIES.
The Armed Forces Families Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that utilizes 100 percent of funds to give back to local communities to support military families. The AFFF is comprised of a 100 percent volunteer-based organization, which enables the Foundation to operate without any overhead costs. With over $2.5 million raised, the AFFF strives to continue to make a difference in our military communities.
The commitment of the AFFF has led to the completion of over 50 infrastructure projects that will benefit the families of our service men and women for years to come. Our focus is primarily on areas of significant need which often fall outside the tight budget constraints of the military and its family support organizations. All funds remain local so donors can see their dollars at work. Please visit armedforcesfamilies.org for more information or to make a donation.
ABOUT THE BRIDGE
THE BOB GRAHAM SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE
The Sunshine Skyway was the longest segmental cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere when it opened in 1987. It was the first of its kind in the United States – a cable-stayed bridge with single pylons and single planes of stays. Since then, its groundbreaking design and majestic beauty have been recognized with 18 awards, including the 1988 Presidential Award for Design Excellence through the National Endowment for the Arts.
Soaring pylons and brilliant yellow cables support the main span, designed by FIGG Bridge Group. The Skyway is not only beautiful, it’s strong! The 1,200-foot-long main span is made of precast concrete segments, each 95 foot wide and weighing up to 220 tons, both record-breaking sizes at the time of construction. Its design also protects against ship collisions and hurricane force winds.
The Skyway is the proud gateway to MacDill Air Force Base and to Hillsborough County, home to the most veterans and active military in Florida. We salute you!
To see more great bridges, visit FIGG Bridge Group. Excerpted from Bridges: A History of the World’s Most Spectacular Spans by Judith Dupre.